Monday, April 28, 2014

6 things I have learned from my oldest child....


This is my Heather.  She has many nicknames - Heather-Feather, Hea, Feather, and one from way back, Pookie.  LOL  Her full name is Heather Cherish-Marie Jones.  Yes, her middle name is two names hyphenated!  I know it's weird, but I have good reason!  (BTW, she doesn't really like it but I think it's growing on her)

So the story behind her "two name" middle name starts way back in 1986 or so.  I was dating her Dad and even though we were very young (me 17, him 19), we had picked out our children's names awhile.  For a girl, we picked "Cherish Marie" and for a boy we picked "Christian Daniel".  

The summer before my senior year in high school, my best friend "Heather" was killed in a car accident.  I was devastated, as was our whole group of friends and anyone else who's life she touched.  Heather's Dad knew "Heather" also, so it was a very sad time for all.  We both felt strongly about naming our girl child "Heather" after our friend that had passed away.  But I still loved the name "Cherish Marie" so I decided to use them all.  And that's how Heather Cherish-Marie came about.  :-)

So the point of my post today is to name 6 things I have learned from my Feather over the years.  She has grown in to a beautiful young woman.   Ok, here we go:

1)  Patience.  I was a very young Mom, and her Dad and I split up while she was still a baby.  So being a single (young) Mom was scary to me.  She was such a happy-go-lucky little girl that being patient came easy.  She was easy going and just would go with the flow.  

2)  Unconditional Love.  She has reminded me about this many times through out her life.  Not in words, but by her actions.  

3)  Compassion.  Her love for her family and friends is amazing.  She is also very compassionate towards animals.  We've always had a family dog while she was growing up and she loved them all so very much.
4) To just be yourself.  As far back as I can remember, Heather never fell in to peer pressure (that I'm aware of! lol).  She was always just herself.  Take it or leave it.   Even as she ventures in to her adult life, she just "is" Heather.  I love that about her.


5)  To embrace faith of some kind.  Heather is a very spiritual person.  She believes our deceased loved ones are around us, always.  We share in this together.  We've explored many books and seminars together.   The older she gets, the more I see this in her.


6)  To be a good listener.   Heather is the best listener I know.  I have talked to her about many things over the years and she is there to share tears of sadness or happiness.  She does not judge.  And even if there is nothing to say in return, she'll just give you a big hug till the hurt goes away.  


I love you my Heather-Feather!!!!
 photo blogsignature_zpsb2df6ee1.png








Follow on Bloglovin


22 comments:

  1. I LOVE her name and the meaning behind it! Heather is adorable. Looks like you raised an amazing young lady…be proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you thank you thank you! I love her to pieces! xo

      Delete
  2. That is a great story behind the name, very meaningful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, so sweet. :-) I'm blushing for her. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww....I love this post so much! I hope I have such a good relationship with my daughter when she gets older. My son also has two middle names. His name is Christopher Edward Lane. My husband and I only agreed on the name Christopher for a first name so that had to be it. Then I named him Edward for my dad, but I also wanted to name him for my grandmother. I gave my daughter my other grandmother's name for a middle, Gloria, and I wanted to do the same for my other grandmother, Elaine. So Edward Lane it was.

    I often say my kids are my gurus. I really believe they teach us more than we teach them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha see there is a method to our madness!!! :-) And I agree, they do teach us more than we teach them.

      Delete
  5. Awh, I love this! Isn't it funny how much our kids can teach us? We come into this parenting thing thinking it'll all be one-sided, but it's not :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! What a sweet girl and what a good mama you are. Parenting can be so tough but it is so rewarding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how God uses our kids to teach us so much about life, love, and Himself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Daughters are the best, aren't they? Especially when they grow up to be fabulous women!
    a/b

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They totally are! She's turned out to be a lovely young lady with her whole life ahead of her!

      Delete
  9. Kids do teach us so much and I love how beautifully written this is. What an amazing job you are doing as a young and single parent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet post about your daughter. And I love her name, she may not appreciate it now but she will someday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I welcome your comments.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...