Saturday, April 19, 2014

Must.Pick.Up.The.Pace!


This was one of my views this morning while walking on a local rail trail.  When the weather get nice I prefer to exercise outside instead of the gym.  This time of year is perfect!  Temperature is just right, not too cold, not too hot.  

So I'm all ready...little wrist weights on, my iHeart radio tuned to my favorite station and I'm doing my warm-up pace.  After that I start to pick up the pace a little.  Finally I'm cruising along at what I thought was a pretty brisk pace. I can feel people approaching me from the side.  I suddenly was passed by two (clearly older than me) people who were also walking.  What the WHAT?!  They just effortlessly zoomed right on past me.  Guess my "brisk pace" wasn't as brisk as I thought!!

Ok, I thought to myself, time to pick it up.  So I push a little faster.  Again, I can feel someone approaching me from the side.  This time I was passed by a (clearly older than me) woman who was RUNNING!  Oh man, I'm feeling a little bad about myself now.  So I decide to wog (a word I like to describe how I RUN - a cross between a "walk" and a "jog").  While doing intervals, my mind starts to drift back to a few years ago when I was training with my BFF for a 1/2 marathon.

We trained many times on this very trail.  It was quite an experience.  I have to say that the training schedule was far worse than the actual 1/2 marathon itself.  It was grueling! While I was able to cross that off my bucket list at 40 years old, I really have no desire to run a 1/2 again.  LOL  I don't mind wogging since it is as good workout; just not for training purposes.  




I am reminded of this quote that I see on Facebook every once and awhile:  

  • "If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."          --John Bingham


So if you run, then just run!  Or in my case...WOG!  :-)



 photo blogsignature_zpsb2df6ee1.png

12 comments:

  1. That's a great quote. You have to be comfortable with where you are in your training and not worry about the people who pass you, as long as you enjoy yourself and get a great workout. Dropping by from SITS--have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me awhile to except that I am not a fast runner, but a wogger. LOL! And I'm ok with that! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. What a great reminder! I definitely get self conscious sometimes, but it's nice to slow down and move at my own pace without worrying about everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I still feel like I got a good work out in whether I'm power walking or wogging. :)

      Delete
  3. Great quote. Just as with anything, you need to move at your own pace, and not be influenced by others. Great work on knocking that 1/2 marathon off your bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's right girl! I almost fell out at the gym once when I tried to keep up with "real runners" on the treadmill LOL! Now I focus on myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH NO! LOL! Man, I still sneak a peak sometimes and am amazed at how fast some of those people can book on that treadmill. Good for them though! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the word WOG. :-) I am terrible at running, walking, or wogging... I try hard not to notice all the others passing me because it just discourages me. Focus and just do your best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! Funny word it is! My BFF thought we made up that word ourselves, come to find out it's already a slang word in use out there! Too funny! But so true for me. :)

      Delete
  7. I am a wogger. Glad to know I am not the only one! I did a 3K once (bucket list too) and got passed by the lady in the wheelchair being pushed by the older, umm, bigger lady…twice!! That put a little spring in my step and I finished before them. That was my only goal for the day. LOL! Dropping in from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're a wogger too! And that's a funny story - sounds like me! Thanks for stopping by! XOXO

      Delete

Thanks for reading my blog! I welcome your comments.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...